Image 1 of 1
Svyato-Voznesensky cathedral is commonly called Zendkov cathedral after it builder, Andre Zenkov. The Russian Orthodox edifice is in Almaty's Panfilov park. Its construction, begun in 1904, is entirely of wood without the use of nails. It was used as a natural history museum during the Soviet Era. At 56 meters ( 184 feet) its one of the tallest wooden buildings in the world. It survived the earthquake of 1911 that devastated Almaty.